PSM's Current Projects
Current Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations to our photo contest winner, Ralph Clements!
Ralph works for Gay and Neel, Inc. in Christiansburg, VA, offering land surveying, civil engineering and landscape architecture services.
His photo shows his daughter Julianne, age 6, on Ft. Lewis Mountain in Roanoke County, Virginia.
He says "She is trying out a Gurley transit that belonged to my late father E. S. Clements, Jr. The instrument was refurbished by him and presented to me upon my licensure as a land surveyor in Virginia and was originally purchased by his mother to help him get started when he opened his surveying business in Christiansburg in the mid 1950s.
"Before your very observant readers comment, I will acknowledge the instrument is not level in the photograph; the bubble is not centered, Julianne hasn’t learned that yet!"
(if you'd like to enter the next contest, see below for details.)
Rules and Conditions for the PSM Monthly Photo Contest
Participation: The contest is open to all eligible U.S. residents who enter by registering and submitting a photograph to be judged.
Schedule and Prizes: Each month we will select a winning photo to post on our website along with a short profile of the winner's survey shop. If the winning photo is right for our print magazine, we'll print it on the cover instead.
How to Enter Contest: After reading and agreeing to the following rules and conditions, you may email your photos as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please follow the conditions and file formats listed below.
Documentation: Please include with your submission:
- your name,
- contact information (email and daytime phone number),
- a background description of the photo (who, what, where, etc.) and
- a short description of your shop (name, number of employees, location, surveying specialties, etc.).
Theme: We are looking for photos that directly relate to land surveying. This includes photos of scenic, unique, and/or interesting job sites (rural, suburban, or urban scenes, for example). We’re looking for your imagination but also for your best judgment and good taste (photos composed of attractive team members simply posed next to survey equipment would not qualify).
Conditions of Photo Submissions
- Photos shall be in digital format and can be in color or black & white.
- Prints size: The larger the better; resolution of 300 DPI.
- File Formats: Only PNG, JPG, or TIFF formats can be accepted.
- You must own the photo and copyrights.
- You must not have already submitted the photo *or similar photos from the same surveying project) to any other national surveying magazine.
- You may alter only the image brightness and sharpness; any other alterations detected by the sponsor will result in disqualification of the entry at our discretion. As a condition of entry, each contestant represents and warrants to: (A) The photo submission is wholly original and does not infringe upon or otherwise violate any right of any third party. Any submission that includes content that, in our discretion, is inappropriate, indecent, or obscene will be disqualified from this contest. (B) Upon submission, all entrants give permission for their photograph to be hosted on PSM’s website and/or Professional Surveyor Magazine.
Judges and Criteria for Judging: Photos will be judged by the staff here at PSM. Criteria includes: uniqueness and originality, composition, clarity, and relevancy to the field of land surveying.