Solar filters 

Name Message
ctrenary

Topic  Solar filters       Flag »  Reply »

I'm a newby to surveying so please forgive the ignorance if it shows.

I recently bought a new Pentax CST-225N to use in archaeoastronomic research. I will need a solar filter for this total station, but I'm having a hard time finding one. My understanding is that the EDM electronics can be damaged by pointing the instrument at the sun. Therefore, the filter needs to be an objective filter, not an eyepiece filter. If I can't get a filter from either Pentax, or Berger (they actually manufactured the instrument), then I've wondered if a solar filter such as astronomers use for their telescopes could be used on the total station. These filters come in many sizes, and different types, i.e. hydrogen alpha, calcium K and others. Does anyone have any previous experience with non-manufacturer provided solar filters? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 at 8:21:21 PM
Neeraj

Reply  Re: Solar filters Flag »  Reply »
Therefore.
Get 100Gb free space with surdoc tru privacy security policy
http://www.surdoc.com

Monday, October 21, 2013 at 1:06:08 PM
roverguy

What is the diameter of the objective lens?  I have one from my Sokkia TS that I no longer use.

What is the pricing on the ones you are looking at?
  Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 9:18:16 AM
ctrenary

Thanks Roverguy.

The original post was made two years ago. In the interim I was able to locate a solar filter through the Pentax distributor in Mexico City. It seems that solar filters are becoming "old school". But thanks for the reply anyway.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 7:46:52 PM

» Reply to Solar filters Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.