Welcome 

Name Message
Jeff

Topic  Welcome       Flag »  Reply »
This part of PSM's Forum deals with the business of land surveying. My name is Jeff and I write the "Business Angle" column, serve as the Web Editor for this site and will help moderate this forum. Feel free to post ideas, questions or suggestions!
  Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 12:23:36 PM
Thomas LaCorte

Reply  Re: Welcome Flag »  Reply »
Hi Jeff it seems that the economy is getting worse not better. I'm sure you have heard this before but "I have never seen it this bad". Do you know of any specific area of surveying that is doing better than others? Perhaps the "laser scanning providers" are busier than the mortgage survey providers. I don't know just wondering if you have heard of any one sector of surveying being busier than another.
  Wednesday, November 12, 2008 at 7:08:09 PM
Shelly.Cox

Reply  Re: Who'se Doing Well? Flag »  Reply »
Guys, as managing editor of this magazine, I'm hearing of booming business in the laser scanning sector as well as aerial mapping and any surveying for the oil business.  This has been a problem with gathering "weathering the storm" materials to inspire surveyors with stories of current successes: if you've got time to write an article then you're not doing well enough in your business to inspire anyone (generally), but if you're doing well then you don't have time to write a story.

I've also heard from busy surveyors that they don't want to jinx themselves by talking about success right now  That's understandable!

I'm hoping some brave (and non-superstitious) souls will post here. 
  Friday, November 14, 2008 at 11:15:56 AM
Jeff

Thomas,

Having just been laid off at a small residential builder, I can attest that housing construction is in the tank. I starting working back in surveying and the only thing keeping them in business is the energy market. Specifically they are locating old oil and gas wells and staking new ones. How did they get into this market? A fellow surveyor in Kansas could not operate in Colorado, so it recommended our company to his oilfield services client. I believe the KS surveyor saw my company's ad in the regional business directory. Lesson learned? Be visible and look for areas of the economy like energy that ARE growing. The energy section is one. Some people say commercial reals-estate is still good, but it varies region by region.
  Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 2:57:16 PM
Thomas LaCorte

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Not much in the way of energy markets here in Florida. However your
correct about commercial. Government and commercial is all that's happening right now.
 Staying visible in Florida....TOM
  Sunday, November 16, 2008 at 6:16:46 PM
Tom

Any historians out there? As Shelly mentioned in one of her posts, we're trying to get a pulse on the possible increased surveying opportunities that will come with the new Obama Administration. With Barack promising to enact programs to increase spending on our infrastructure and overhaul it, you hear comparisons with the New Deal and Works Progress Administrations programs from the Roosevelt era. My question: does anyone know of the opportunities those created for surveyors? Tom Gibson -- PSM editor
  Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 12:46:46 PM
Geoff

I am involved in the laser scanning products (hardware & software) business and I am in contact with a very large number of laser scanning service providers, from 1-person companies to companies with >1,000 total staff. It's my observation that as a group they are faring much better in the current economy than survey businesses tied to residential construction. Some are thriving, while many others are holding steady. Two main factors: (1) scanning is rarely used in residential construction, so the collapse there is not directly affecting those in scanning, and (2) general adoption of scanning is still on a solid rise by clients & surveyors. Scanning is heavily used in infrastructure projects, power & energy, commercial buildings/sites, plants, forensics & heritage. Watch for the Feb 09 issue of Professional Surveyor for lots of specific details & examples (I've contributed a feature article on this topic).
  Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 1:26:32 PM

» Reply to Welcome Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.