Correct way to measure property at corner of two roads. 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Correct way to measure property at corner of two roads.

Name Message
Gardener

Topic  Correct way to measure property at corner of two roads.       Flag »  Reply »
I posted this question earlier, but posted in the wrong place, I believe.  For further clarification, the property in question is located in Missouri.

My property is a country acre situated at the corner of a state road and a county road.  The property dimensions list the lot as 180ft x 240 ft, one acre more or less.  We were young and stupid 30 years ago when we bought the corner acre of a larger plat and trusted the measurement of our neighbor and seller but never had the property surveyed.  The landowner measured from the center of both roads...so we basically have a lot that is 150 ft by 210 ft rectangle.  Now another neighbor has purchased land from the same seller and that neighbor is telling us that the surveyor says the measurements are incorrect and we should have maybe 30 ft more each direction.  Can anyone tell me if that might be right?  And if the property line has stood for 30 years will a survey enable us to take possesion of that extra 30 feet or not?  We are not wanting to antagonize our old neighbor but 30 extra feet each direction would be gold to us.
  Thursday, September 08, 2011 at 1:55:12 PM
Stephen Johnson

Reply  Re: Correct way to measure property at corner of two roads. Flag »  Reply »
Are you at the corner of a section and is the section corner at the centerline intersection of the two roads?  If that is the situation your neighbor may be wrong. 

You need to ask a local surveyor and/or, I hate to say this, a lawyer.
  Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 1:34:25 AM
Gardener

Reply  Re: Correct way to measure property at corner of two roads. Flag »  Reply »
Yes, we are at the corner of a section and I believe the section corner is at the centerline intersection of the two roads. 

We plan on having the property surveyed but are unsure whether we should wait until the elderly seller passes so as not to upset him or do it now.  The gentleman we bought the property from was absolutely livid when the surveyor told him he had measured the other property wrong.  The recently surveyed parcel is not at the corner of a section and is only bounded by one road.  I see advantages to having our place surveyed now, before the surrounding property changes hands.
  Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 4:58:30 PM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Correct way to measure property at corner of two roads.

» Reply to Correct way to measure property at corner of two roads. Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.