Problem 284 New Solution is Incorrect 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Problem Corner » Problem 284 New Solution is Incorrect

Name Message
John Nolton

Topic  Problem 284 New Solution is Incorrect       Flag »  Reply »
The new solution to problem 284 posted by Shelly Cox yesterday (2/3/2014) is not correct.
It looks like the typo error and the ommision of "m" in Lindell's equation number [3] were corrected as per my 1st post but somebody DID NOT look at my 2nd post and they DID NOT read it very well.
I clearly state that Lindell's equation [3] is incorrect and if you solve it you will NOT get the answer Lindell shows. I give the solution to equation [3] as presented with the
"m" in it and it is m = 39d 45m 10.1981s. Now if one will work the values of "m" as Lindell shows,
m = 30d , [3] yields +2.44615242 
THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WILL GET WHEN YOU USE 30d.
Nor will you get the values for 45d or 60d
I found a on line program for plotting equations and when equation [3] is programmed in it it shows that the answer is very close to 0.7 radians which = 40d+.
Lindell does have the correct answer as I have stated and I give more places just for the heck of it. It would be nice to know what internet program Lindell used to reduce the equation just above his equation [3] because it clear he left something OUT of it in his presented solution.
In Mathematica the reduced equation is  2(-1 + 2 Cos[m]) Cot[m] / -2 + 3 Sin [m] = Tan[m].  Solving this equation in Mathematica gives Lindell's final answer. I also solved Lindell's equation just above his equation [3] on my HP20s calculator and get the same answer as I get using Mathematica.

I hope I have helped all the people that read this great magazine with problem 284.

John Nolton
Tombstone, AZ. 
  Tuesday, February 04, 2014 at 10:24:30 AM
Shelly.Cox

Reply  Re: Problem 284 New Solution is Incorrect Flag »  Reply »
John Nolton's Solution
  Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 3:52:49 PM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Problem Corner » Problem 284 New Solution is Incorrect

» Reply to Problem 284 New Solution is Incorrect Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.