May I have some expert Buying advice please on a device for taking readings of locations and transfering them to a 2d CAD drawing Thanks 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Technology Ask & Answer » May I have some expert Buying advice please on a device for taking readings of locations and transfering them to a 2d CAD drawing Thanks

Name Message
drafter

Topic  May I have some expert Buying advice please on a device for taking readings of locations and transfering them to a 2d CAD drawing Thanks       Flag »  Reply »
Hello surveying friends,

I would like to be able to do some rough as built drawings of buildings, building sites with drainage features, topo, fences, land areas, etc. I would like to use it for my own purposes on my own land and not commercially as a surveyor since I am not one. I am a draftsman and would be doing some work on a farm to calcuate areas for crops, building locations, land slopes of fields and stream drainage areas and forested sloped areas. For example, I would like to get a rough topo of a forested area and plan the best way to put in an access road to haul out the timber when the area is cut. I would also like to be able to determine the slopes of fire breaks so I can calculate how far apart to locate water drainage turnouts and whether the area needs a vegatation cover or contours to prevent erosion. I would also like to be able to calculate the areas of clearcut so I can know how many trees to order to replant based on different spacing of trees in rows. I would also like to go back and stake out the planting rows along the coutours. In some areas the steepness of the terrain calls for a wider tree spacing so I would need to plant fewer trees there. I would like to plan in the rows and exact planting spots of trees to make sure that the harvesting machines can maximize the thinning without skinning up the remaining trees and to maximize the money that can be made from the thinning of the trees over about 30 or 35 years until a clearcut is done.  I also would like to use a device to make sure I can connect the corner pins that are over a mile away in heavy forrest when going back and refreshing the paint on the border trees. I would like to be able to check the accuracy of the paint that was done by someone else that probably only used a hand compass.

I am wanting to be able to use something like a laser distance meter like Leica makes to stake out horizontal measurements in the field. I would like for that device though to be able to measure out horizontal angle measurements also. I would  also like to have the points that are shot to be saved into a Computer Aided Drafting Program on the spot so I can check it on the screen as I am working in the field.  Has anyone used or put together something like that yet ? It would not hurt to be able to use the points to generate a 3d contour map. I have not used 3d yet but I would like to do so in the future.
Any advice is appreciated.  P.S. I want to spend the least amount of money to get the job done.
  Wednesday, July 03, 2013 at 3:42:47 PM
Neeraj

Reply  Re: May I have some expert Buying advice please on a device for taking readings of locations and transfering them to a 2d CAD drawing Thanks Flag »  Reply »
I would like to plan in the rows and exact planting spots of trees.

Get 100Gb free space with surdoc tru privacy security policy
http://www.surdoc.com

Monday, October 21, 2013 at 12:53:56 PM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Technology Ask & Answer » May I have some expert Buying advice please on a device for taking readings of locations and transfering them to a 2d CAD drawing Thanks

» Reply to May I have some expert Buying advice please on a device for taking readings of locations and transfering them to a 2d CAD drawing Thanks Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.