Download problem 

Name Message
jessho

Topic  Download problem       Flag »  Reply »
I've been involved with construction layout for years. In the past, I've always relied on others to establish controls, which I worked from with tapes and builders levels. I finally dragged my superiors into this century by purchasing a Nikon NPR 352 total station (the learning curve is close to flat at this time), which is a big plus, but I've found a technical problem that maybe someone can help me with.

I don't want to purchace a data collector at this time, which requires me to download data from my total station into my computer. I prefer my laptop, due to the portability, but I don't have a serial port. A serial to usb adapter cord won't work. Even following the manufacturers possible solution doesn't solve the problem, and they added a caveat that their recommendations may not work either. I've had an express card to serial adapter suggested, but I'm wary of possible hardware problems. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 8:05:11 AM
Rich

Reply  Re: Download problem Flag »  Reply »
In this market, I'm sure you can get a DC for next to nothing. Even an old 48 with TDS had gotta woop the on-board stuff. If you save a couple hours in a week ... paid for.

I'm surprised that the USB-serial solution didn't work. None of our modern laptops have serial ports, so that's the solution we use to talk to all kinds of hardware when working remote jobs where we're staying overnight. Never had a much of a problem; it all comes down to configuring the corret COM port to match what the hardware can or can't talk to. You have to match up the ports, baud, parity, etc.

You can try the card to serial option I suppose, but afte that, seems like you're all out of options. Good luck.
  Friday, November 28, 2008 at 11:57:41 PM
Geezer

Reply  Re: Download problem Flag »  Reply »

jessho,

I MAY be able to help you.  I have a Nikon NPL-362.  I had similar issues with using the laptop as it did not have the serial port.  Tried working with support folks and they kept telling me the reason I couldn't transfer the file was because it must be corrupt.  I explained that I just transferred the same file using the PC.  Not much help.

Finally I started trying different settings: baud rate, etc.  Everything works fine.  If you haven't found an answer yet, email me and I will fire up the laptop to see exactly what settings I ended up with. 

Geezer
Hope I can help. 

Monday, August 02, 2010 at 9:24:33 AM

» Reply to Download problem Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.