possible man hole covered by 'lean to' 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » possible man hole covered by 'lean to'

Name Message
Zeitgeist

Topic  possible man hole covered by 'lean to'       Flag »  Reply »
I have been told by the neighbour that the 'lean to' section of the property is believed to be built upon a man hole cover. This part of the property is used as a dining room and has tiled floors.

During the purchsing process I had a full survey done but the man hole was not mentioned in the surveyors report, so what I would like to know is:

1, Should this have been picked up in the initial full survey and if so what can be done now the purchase has gone through?
2, If the council need to get access to the man hole would there be any possible action to be taken against the original surveyor?
3, If I contact building control, to find out for certain about the man hole, can they order the section of the property to be taken down?
4, If when selling the property any potential surveyor finds the problem are they legally obliged to inform the council?
5, Any advice on what I could/should do?

Thanks in advance.
  Monday, January 23, 2012 at 8:06:15 AM
Stephen Johnson

Reply  Re: possible man hole covered by 'lean to' Flag »  Reply »
Answers to your questions.  Maybe.

1. In general, if you did not get an in depth title report supplied to the surveyor and it was not specified that he/she search for all utilities on the property and given that you have a report that manhole may be hidden, I would say that expecting it to be on a surveyor's report is not reasonable.

2. not likely

3. If it is under improvements, yes.

4. Not normally, but under certain circumstances yes.  They are always obligated to inform the seller and they buyer.

5. Verify the manhole location and if it is abandoned or not.  Sue the seller, his real estate agent and the title insurer, If someone sold a house/building with an active manhole under part of the structure.

Monday, February 06, 2012 at 4:20:43 PM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » possible man hole covered by 'lean to'

» Reply to possible man hole covered by 'lean to' Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.