Survey of steep land and vertical faces 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Survey of steep land and vertical faces

Name Message
mminton

Topic  Survey of steep land and vertical faces       Flag »  Reply »
When land is surveyed does the steepness of the land get considered in the surface area or is the area projected onto a horizontal plane?  If the land is not steep it wouldn't make much difference, but as one approaches a vertical face, such as a cliff, it could make a huge difference.  For example if a piece of property consisted of one acre of flat land at the bottom of a cliff, a vertical cliff face with an area of one acre, and another acre of flat land at the top of the cliff, would the property be considered to consist of two acres or three?  It would certainly seem misleading to call it three acres since one couldn't use the vertical face, but where does one draw the line?  I am not a surveyor by training so perhaps the answer to this is trivial.  Thanks!
  Monday, March 09, 2009 at 11:40:28 AM
jwahl

Reply  Re: Survey of steep land and vertical faces Flag »  Reply »
Generally speaking surveys project distances and the resultant areas computed to a horizontal basis.  - jlw
  Monday, March 09, 2009 at 9:51:27 PM
james.roepel

Reply  Re: Survey of steep land and vertical faces Flag »  Reply »
I agree with jwahl. The only time it would come into the picture is if it is stated in the deed ie: "...upward along the incline of the slope, 123.45 feet..." this would looked at as a big mess today but I have heard stories of old deeds saying all kinds of obscure things. Remember, in the beginning of our country land transfers might have been done with the owners walking the proposed transfer lines and agreeing to a boundary. Land registry came later when all the problems of the poorly written deeds showed their ugly faces. Today, here in California, land is not divided with out the blessings of the local control agency and if it gets by them and is divided they will not let you do anything with it until you have resolved all the problems with it to their saticfaction. In this century, I believe it could not happen. But it all lays in the intent of the owner who is selling the land.....never say never.
  Friday, August 14, 2009 at 6:36:20 PM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Survey of steep land and vertical faces

» Reply to Survey of steep land and vertical faces Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.