Setting Up The Trimble S8 Total Station 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Setting Up The Trimble S8 Total Station

Name Message
David Walker

Topic  Setting Up The Trimble S8 Total Station       Flag »  Reply »

Hello all

My name is David and I work in construction in the UK.

My company has recently purchased the Trimble S8 Total Station; the problem is that the only person who knew how to use it & was given all the training has left the company.

My manager has given me the task of operating the Total Station is order to take levels of the ground (and other stuff)

I am COM PLETELY new to surveying, total stations & I have never used anything like the Trimble total station before. I have learnt a considerable amount through books and going through the user manual. But I have some questions which I was hoping someone out who uses the same or similar equipment could help me with.

My question is this:-

I want to take some levels of the ground relative to a Temporary Bench Mark (TBM). I set up my instrument & level it.

On the PDA I set the co-coordinates of the TBM to 1000m, 1000m, 1000m.

There is a screen on the PDA that asks for the Height Of the instrument (IH). From what I have read, this measurement is calculated by measuring the distance from the bottom of the notch to the ground (HM) and then using the formula:-

IH = 0.158+Sqrt(HM^2 – 0.091^2)

When the PDA asks for the instrument height do I enter the HM measurement and the PDA calculates the IH value or do I have to enter the IH by doing the calculation myself.

My second question is this;

There is another screen that asks for the Height of the Back Sight. Is this value how high up the prism is from the staff i.e the staff height it 1.500m, so do I enter 1.500

or

Is this value how high up the prism is from the staff + 135mm (which is the distance from the bottom of the prism to the center line of the prism)

or

is this value calculated by the Total Station i.e. by taking a reading directly over my TBM

My final question is does the Total Station & PDA work when it is raining? i.e. is it water proof.

Any Help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you

Sunday, March 04, 2012 at 2:03:08 PM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Setting Up The Trimble S8 Total Station

» Reply to Setting Up The Trimble S8 Total Station Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.