Field Notes 

Name Message
Ashley

Topic  Field Notes       Flag »  Reply »
I have been wondering about how the majority in this profession view the value of good field notes and field notes in general.  I have worked with a couple of companies that kept no field notes, and I have worked with several companies that have kept extensive field notes.  I personally find keeping good field notes as a necessity both for working in the field and in the office.  At one of the companies I worked, one of the field personnel actually said they thought field notes were a waste of time which astounded me.  Any opinions out there?
  Sunday, December 07, 2008 at 6:47:45 PM
Peter Ehlert

Reply  Re: Field Notes Flag »  Reply »
I see ZERO value to a bucket of numbers without field notes...

Monday, December 08, 2008 at 12:17:09 PM
Thomas LaCorte

I believe most States have mandated that proper field notes must be taken. I know that it is easy to just collect data but no matter what I do I always put proper field notes in a commercial field book no note pads and such. To the people that don't keep proper field notes. Let me tell you that time is not on your side. It will catch up to you and when it does..it's going to hurt.
  Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 3:32:14 PM
Amberftw

I am currently going to school to get my associates in surveying and they teach us that feild notes are the most important part of our job. For instance, we (the surveyors) are the ones that actually see the job site and for anyone else to use our information we need to clearly describe and collect the information others will use.
  Friday, January 02, 2009 at 11:10:44 PM
jessho

As I was going over some data this morning, four points stood out due to strange elevations. As I went through my field notes, I found all four were noted as wrong due to a wrong target height.

Worst case scenario of no field notes was a highway project that was staked out, and controled with a gps system. All coordinates, and elevations were entered in the machine and field data was never accompanied by notes.

I asked the field supervisor how he knew if someone changed data in the office to correct mistakes they found, and wanted to cover up. He had no way of knowing, and the mistakes I saw indicated this probably happened. Eventually the supervisor became the sacrificial goat and was let go. The poetic justice was that the problems persisted, although the vindication never reached the supervisor. The last time I talked to him, there were still sour grapes.
  Monday, January 05, 2009 at 10:07:46 AM
Peter.Polito

how many of you erase in the field book?

the law clearly states that erasures are never allowed in the field books.  yet i see survey crews constantly making erasures in the field books.

my instructor laughed when he said, "never erase in the field book"

one fruitcake in the class said, "my boss said he has been a surveyor for 40 years and has never been called into court by erasing mistakes in his field books.  everybody erases mistakes in their field books"

who polices the field books to make sure nit noids follow the law and do not erase in the field books?
  Monday, January 05, 2009 at 10:18:47 AM
Dave Lindell

You can erase all you want to.  When and if you ever do get into court and the opposing lawyer sees your erasures you can bet the entirety of your notes will be deemed questionable.  And that's if the lawyer is a nice guy!  Imagine having your reputation torn to shreds by a vicious litigator!
  Monday, January 05, 2009 at 5:40:18 PM
Peter.Polito

i don't know what the law is in hacienda heights but here in the commonwealth, it is absolutely forbidden to make erasures in any field book!!

this is clearly spelled out in the general laws and the 250 cmr.  this fact is also clearly spelled out in the general laws concerning the requirements for becomming a pls.  sit and pls exams mention this fact as well.  here in the commonwealth, the integrity of the profession will be maintained!!

Monday, January 05, 2009 at 9:56:00 PM
james.christian

Field notes are not only needed, but are for the protection of the Surveyor, used as a hard copy of evidence and reference. Every company had their own way of keeping notes, or setting up the book for note keeping protocol. PS---even when using Data Collectors, notes act as a hard copy for qucik reference of your work!
As far as the erasing topic, doesnt hurt a thing in the book, thats how we take care of mistakes ;)
  Sunday, January 11, 2009 at 10:37:54 AM
Roland

We keep field notes on every job, along with a printout of the raw data file.Erasing in the
field book is a  no no.
  Friday, January 23, 2009 at 9:42:12 PM
k-bob

Field notes are necessary, no matter how rudimentary the data collection is going on. Even during a mind-numbing topo, an occupied / HI / BS / FS pt # range should be maintained in the field book at the minimum. Working with one surveyor, his external data collector crapped out on us after we broke down the section we were working in. Almost had to call it a day just because of that, since no notes had been taken. Luckily, he recovered the job after doing a 'cold' reboot of the device. Another time, working with my crewchief, we did a boundary on a platted lot. Did the entire job in the program (nothing wrong with this), but as we drove away after the job was done, he asked me to remind him to write up some field notes sometime(!) Field note should always be taken - once upon a time, surveyor's took pride in their field note capability.

On erasing, yeah everybody does it, though it really should not be done. Again, away on an exceedingly long day, my crew-chief erased his preliminary notes after we tied in horizontal & vertical on a monument we installed for the Army Corps. As we were driving away to the next town, he says oh crap, we may have to reoccupy that monument cuz my field notes were erased before i copied them. He ultimately was able to read what had been erased with a magnifying glass or something, but he almost turned our 14 hr day into an overnite trip.
  Friday, February 06, 2009 at 10:45:21 AM
Isleno

Paper is cheap.  Errors in field notes should be corrected by a strike-out that allows the old note to be read.  Revise the notes on another page if need be.  That way, if at a later date, someone questioning the correction cannot claim that the old notes said whatever benifited their argument.  The electronic collection system is great, but it does discourage hard copy documentation.  I don't know what the answer is.
  Friday, February 06, 2009 at 11:05:25 AM
JOSESC

Some modern instruments have the abilty to store observations made in the field and therefore some surveyors see no need of keeping field notes

Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 6:36:38 AM
JOSESC

Some modern instruments have the abilty to store observations made in the field and therefore some surveyors see no need of keeping field notes

Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 7:02:19 AM
Surveysmith

Even though I have a data collector, I tend to use it mostly for stakeout. For most boundary surveys, I still use a notebook. I like the ability to sketch. It was how I learned and cannot seem to break away from it.
  Friday, December 14, 2012 at 1:08:58 PM
saboor

it is good to have field notes, but when I supose to do both field and office work of survey than I don't collect much field notes because you have the picture of site in your mind that really helps you to do the office work.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 2:20:24 AM

» Reply to Field Notes Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.