How do the GPS reference station networks work? 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » How do the GPS reference station networks work?

Name Message
Trojan1stDown!

Topic  How do the GPS reference station networks work?       Flag »  Reply »
I am fairly new the world of GPS Surveying and I have a few questions about it.  My company is subscribed to a reference station network and I am just trying to figure out how it all exactly works.  I have always used GPS that requires a base station setup so this is new technology to me.  First off the equipment I am working with is a receiver, data collector, and a cell phone.  I understand the concept of having multiple known base stations throughout the coverage area but I just do not understand how the internet comes into play.  To start with we connect to the cell phone and direct it to connect to the internet.  I guess this is where I am confused.  ONce the phone is connected to the internet what website does it go to to gather information and what information does it gather?  Why is the internet connection attained by dialing some strange number and not just going directly to the internet by the application on the phone itself?  Are the cell towers used at all in determining the location?  Thanks for the help.    
  Tuesday, June 30, 2009 at 3:01:03 PM
Amberftw

Reply  Re: How do the GPS reference station networks work? Flag »  Reply »
I am  still in school for this so somebody correct me if I am wrong. The cell phone replaces the radio or wires that connect from you receiver to the base. The network bases in stead of connecting to receiver by wires or radio all connect to the internet. Just like when computers are networked. You can access information on one computer without actually being on that computer because they are network. So when you turn on the phone it connects to those base stations. Then the phone uses Blue tooth to send/receive data to the receiving rover. This is why the phone has to be close to the receiving rover because if the blue tooth phone gets out of range from that rover then the connection is lost. So the cell phone only acts as a radio for sending data that is gathered. And because all these bases are networked and you use all that are on that network for each shot your data is more accurate. It would be like setting up 100 or more bases on your job and having them all communicate to your receiving rover. Hope this information helps you understand it better.
  Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 9:14:23 PM
CompEng

Amber has the right idea.

The reference station acts like a base station setup, except that it communicates using the cellular network either via the internet or similar to the way fax machines work. The website it goes to is the address of the reference station.

The info transmitted from the reference station to the rover is essentially the same information that would be transmitted from a regular base setup to the rover.

How the cell phone connects to the reference station, the number it dials, how the network works are all going to vary based on what the network supports.
  Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 10:03:15 PM
Neeraj

It would be like setting up.

Get 100Gb free space with surdoc tru privacy security policy
http://www.surdoc.com

Monday, October 21, 2013 at 12:48:05 PM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » How do the GPS reference station networks work?

» Reply to How do the GPS reference station networks work? Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.