By how much can/do surveys vary each time surveyed 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » By how much can/do surveys vary each time surveyed

Name Message
Timbuktu

Topic  By how much can/do surveys vary each time surveyed       Flag »  Reply »
lets say you have a 5 ac parcel surveyed .
Now you decide to have a new surveyor come in for each of the next 5 days to do a repeat survey of the same property.
Each of the surveyors are not aware that any surveyors had preceded them.
QUESTIONS
1-Would there be a variance of the subsequent" location" points?
2-What would cause those variances and is the amount of variability predictible?
 By how much?
3-I assume Human variables probably arent predictible.

A piece of land I am referring to is in the high desert area of California.
This really rural land  is a 5 ac lot. 330x660 and hilly w/cacti brush etc.
 Only some old Homesteading cabins in the area.This time period was in the late forties to 50s as I recall. Im assuming surveying was done in that time period.

I find two markers. One is of the old wood stake ,the top measuring about3x3 inches cross section ( it is still in the ground).

i notice a newer green rod, about 10 to 15 feet north of it. Its about the diameter of my little finger+ .

Its a newer version placed here before 1985. BTW its green with a rubber cap that has a metal tag with the surveyor  stamped into it.

4-Considering the 30 year span and different equipment use is this typiCAL?

Monday, December 12, 2011 at 1:55:11 PM
Isleno

Reply  Re: By how much can/do surveys vary each time surveyed Flag »  Reply »
The wood stake or post you found may or may not be evidence of a boundary location (probably not). Prior surveys and/or the deed must refer to a physical marker for it to be considered controlling evidence of a boundary location.

1. The first surveyor will research deed and other records for documented descriptions of corner location and physical monuments or other evidence of corners. The field will be searched for physical evidence of the recorded descriptions. That first surveyor will then recover existing monuments, if they exist, and set new monuments for corners where physical markers were not found. All subsequent surveyors will find the marks recovered or set by that first surveyor, note the identification of the preceding surveyor and contact him.
2.  Variations in interpretation of evidence is to be expected when the recorded evidence (deed/plats/etc.) is vague and/or the physical marks recovered are few or contradictory to the record. This variation is a function the quality of the evidence.
3.  The marker with the green cap may or may not represent a boundary corner. Contact the surveyor and ask. 
4.  This question assumes the wooden post is a corner marker and the rod with the green cap was intended to mark that same corner. The first is unlikely and the second assumes facts not introduced.
  Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 12:37:32 PM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » By how much can/do surveys vary each time surveyed

» Reply to By how much can/do surveys vary each time surveyed Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.