getting started 

Name Message
tpsykes

Topic  getting started       Flag »  Reply »
Im am interested in getting into the surveying field.  I don't personally know anyone in the profession and was wondering what advice anyone had on getting started.  Thanks in advance, Trevor.
  Wednesday, September 05, 2012 at 2:57:57 PM
JOSURVEYOR

Reply  Re: getting started Flag »  Reply »

This is an excellent question to ask before entering the surveying profession. I wish I would have asked this question some 30 years ago, but then I don't think it would have mattered. The only thing I ask of the survey professionals that are brave enough to answer this question is to answer it from the heart and be honest. Surveying is a great profession that hasn't been given the credit that it deserves for many years. I have first-hand experience in this as I started out with a two-year degree, worked my way through the ranks, obtained my licensure in 2 states, and currently own my second surveying business. But the one thing I can tell you is that I am most grateful and blessed to have the former bosses and co-workers that took the time to teach me the so-called "nuts & bolts" of the profession. What I mean by that is that I had a good education, good common sense, and an abundance of office experience calculating and board-drafting. I knew I wanted to get licensed, but I had absolutely no field experience except through some of my classes. I decided that I was not going to get my license until I fully understood the techniques used in the field work. It took switching jobs to reach my goal, but I couldn't thank those patient, kind, and generous guys enough. The best advice I could offer you Trevor is to find a community college or university that has a certificate program in surveying, and take some classes. Also, find a surveying company in the area and volunteer some time working in the field with a crew chief that has patience, common sense, and know-how as far as using a shovel and metal detector to find corners that may be under the ground surface, and who doesn't assume just because it isn't sticking up a foot above ground and is flagged that it doesn't exist. There is a wealth of knowledge out there if one looks for it and is lucky enough to find it. Also, always remember that you will learn something new every day, and you will never know it all! Good luck to you Trevor, the possibilities are endless.  Joanne  

Thursday, September 06, 2012 at 4:55:19 PM

» Reply to getting started Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.