Plumb Bob Anyone? 

Name Message
Thomas LaCorte

Topic  Plumb Bob Anyone?       Flag »  Reply »
I was wondering does anybody still use a plumb bob on a regular basis? I tend to use mine for checking references or setting references in trees. That's about it (maybe trying to gig a lizard now and then). The prism pole has made chaining a lost art. Are there any creative ways to use a plumb bob in today's world?
  Wednesday, November 12, 2008 at 6:49:29 PM
jessho

Reply  Re: Plumb Bob Anyone? Flag »  Reply »
I work in an industrial facility that is terrible on electronic instruments. I use a plumb bob regularly to establish points. In most situations, it's the fastest and easiest way, since the controls are usually existing structures without relation to any distant point. 

Worst thing about plumb bobs is that they have a tendency to lose the point or grow legs and walk away.
  Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 8:14:33 AM
james.christian

Plumb bobs are still used in various surveying applications such as a quick backsite, construction work, or in rare circumstances even setting up a tripod when optical or lazer plummets dont do the accurate job. Relatively speaking, I dont think the (Plumb bob) will be shelved anytime soon in our future.
  Sunday, January 11, 2009 at 10:29:20 AM
Thomas LaCorte

Your right I almost forgot! I use my plumb bob every time I dip a Manhole for an invert elevation!
  Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 8:49:57 PM
bigbadbruins

plumb bobs are great...no need to adjust the bubble...and in conjunction with a peanut prism...gets rid of the 5' stick
  Monday, January 26, 2009 at 8:00:03 PM

» Reply to Plumb Bob Anyone? Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.