Traverse with compensaror disabled on Totalstation 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Traverse with compensaror disabled on Totalstation

Name Message
f1982

Topic  Traverse with compensaror disabled on Totalstation       Flag »  Reply »
I have a need to survey around a large boat which will be in dock for a project I have to work on. It will be very still considering it will be on the water, but there will be a little movement.
What happens when you disable the compensator on the total station instrument? I will have to disable it since I have tried the instrument on the boat and it says compensator out of range as the bubble gently sways. Will the traverse still work (although with larger errors as i'm relying on a best guess on the level-bubble)?
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Is there any way around this?
  Friday, January 13, 2012 at 2:40:35 PM
Stephen Johnson

Reply  Re: Traverse with compensaror disabled on Totalstation Flag »  Reply »
If the dock is not a floating dock, stay on the dock.
  Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 9:43:24 AM
John Ho

If your boat is on a floating dock, it will look still but it is not!!!! Believe me. Your traverse will work if you place numerous control points on the floating dock and you tied your traverse to a minimum of 4 control points that boxed your boat inside.
You need to centered the bulls eye bubble and then turn off your compensator. When the instrument compensator is turned off, the vertical axis will be plumb to the horizontal plane of the instrument which will move in tandem with the floating dock.
Imagine your boat, control points, instrument axis are all inside a box and moved synchronically, then you can process your traverse with a best fit software and you should get a very good RMS. If you need assistance in processing the data from my above suggestion, you can email me in .txt format and I can help you process it.
  Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 12:29:28 AM
efetopal

I have the same problem. Please tell the process detailed ... I have ms1ax topcon.
  Saturday, April 05, 2014 at 6:43:42 AM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Traverse with compensaror disabled on Totalstation

» Reply to Traverse with compensaror disabled on Totalstation Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.