Topcon IS Imaging Station 

Professional Surveyor Boards » 3D Scanning » Topcon IS Imaging Station

Name Message
Thomas LaCorte

Topic  Topcon IS Imaging Station       Flag »  Reply »
Has anybody used this total station with scanning capability yet? This would most likely
be my first scanner purchase. But do to the down economy it won't be for awhile. Any info on this product that you can pass along would be appreciated.
  Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 7:45:00 PM
jerickson

Reply  Re: Topcon IS Imaging Station Flag »  Reply »
The new Trimble SPS930 is a great robotic total station with scanning ability.  It works great but the cost of the instrument is almost $40k
  Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 2:03:38 PM
Geoff

The term "scanning" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. Today, certain robotic total stations have "fast, motorized reflectorless measurement" capabilites that range from 1 pt/sec to about 20 pts/sec. In contrast, what most people today would call "laser scanners" have speeds in the thousands of points/sec, with a max of 500,000 pts/sec. I think you're doing absolutely the right thing by asking others about their experience with a particular unit, but be aware (and you may well already understand this) that today's reflectorless total station "scanning" capabilities are not in the same league as the capabilities are for what most people would call a laser scanner.
  Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 5:45:36 PM
Thomas LaCorte

Thanks Geoff, I suspected that the capabilities were not the same. None the less the article I read was most interesting and left me wishing I had one.(The Topcon Imaging Station).
  Friday, January 30, 2009 at 10:48:12 AM
FormulaReed

I am also curious about the Topcon IS. I understand that it's not nearly as fast or accurate as a real 3D image station, but what are the real limitations of the Topcon IS? I want to get my feet wet in 3D scanning and most of the work that I can see my self doing would be pretty basic, like being able to offer clients 3D topographic site plans or doing residential interior scans for remodels.

Do you think it could do that type of work? I looked at the web page, watched there promo video and it seems like it could. That would open up a whole new ability to me and possibly attract some new clients.

Cheers,

Reed

Monday, January 04, 2010 at 8:02:38 PM
CityLee

We've been using the Topcon I S for abouth 6 months. With the combination of scanning and digital photo mosaic it is great for forensic accident surveys, We can scan a tight grid of  the wrecked vehicles and get far more detail than previously possible, in a fraction of the time.
The mosaic answers a lot of office question on "regular" topos. In robotic mode the "I'm over here" feature on the prism makes the robot find you right away. we have used it for interior room scans also.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 at 12:09:24 PM
Geoff

Since you want to get your feet wet in 3D scanning with a focus on offering clients basics, such as 3D topographic site plans or residential interior scans for remodels, another viable option would be getting your hands on a good used scanner with the capabilities you need for this type of work (e.g., including embedded digital camera, full dome scanning, thousands of points/sec, etc). This would give you full scanning & imaging capabilities. You can get these today for <$40k from vendors or dealers. You'll still need software, but there are also some good, affordable SW apps out there that can even be rented. 
  Tuesday, March 02, 2010 at 1:20:20 PM
topi

Hej,

We just bought a Topcon Imaging Station (Faculty of Logistics) and I’m “the one who is” responsible for figure it out how those IS working. The idea is to use it for accident analyses (problem is because no one know how to operate with IS – no one in Slovenia).

Perhaps could you help me with some advices? How to scan a location of the accident; how to scan a damaged ca; hoe to make a 3D view of damaged car (or location),…. Or is it a secret?

Thanks,

Regards from Slovenia

Monday, August 16, 2010 at 3:18:42 AM
Neeraj

Yea you are right.
Get 100Gb free space with surdoc tru privacy security policy
http://www.surdoc.com

Monday, October 21, 2013 at 1:15:29 PM

Professional Surveyor Boards » 3D Scanning » Topcon IS Imaging Station

» Reply to Topcon IS Imaging Station Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.

Website design and hosting provided by 270net Technologies in Frederick, Maryland.